Find us @

Feature

Fox News Anchors Invite Trump to Call In After Garland Presser: ‘We’ll Open the Phone Line’

Moments after Attorney General Merrick Garland wrapped up his short Thursday news conference about the FBI raid on former Donald Trump’s Florida residence, Fox News anchors Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum invited the network’s most fervent viewer to immediately phone in with his reaction. Following days of dangerous, irresponsible and overheated rhetoric from Trumpworld and right-wing media about the search warrant executed on the ex-president’s…

Published

on

On Thursday, after Attorney General Merrick Garland’s brief news conference regarding the FBI raid on former President Donald Trump’s Florida residence, Fox News anchors Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum invited the network’s most ardent viewer to immediately phone in with his reaction.

Garland finally spoke out on Thursday after days of dangerous, irresponsible, and overheated rhetoric from Trumpworld and the right-wing media regarding the search warrant executed on the ex-Mar-a-Lago president’s estate.

The attorney general not only confirmed that Trump’s lawyers did receive a copy of the search warrant and property receipt at the time, but also disclosed that the Justice Department has filed a motion to unseal those documents. Trump’s legal team has the option of making the warrant public at any time or keeping it sealed.

As part of the investigation into whether Trump took classified documents from the White House after he left office, Garland said he personally approved the search of Trump’s property. In addition, he criticized conservatives for their “unfounded attacks” on the FBI and Department of Justice. The judge who authorized the search warrant has received death threats, and Trump supporters, including those at Fox News, have claimed that agents “planted evidence” when they removed items from Mar-a-Lago.

MacCallum first spoke to former Attorney General Michael Mukasey after Garland’s press conference, and Mukasey made it clear that Trump hasn’t done himself “any favors” by claiming FBI agents “had an opportunity to plant evidence.” Mukasey also shot down a current MAGA talking point by saying it would be “fairly unremarkable” if Trump’s lawyers weren’t allowed to directly observe the FBI’s search.

Baier would then insist that “we have a lot more questions now” and that they have entered “uncharted territory” as MacCallum and Baier discussed the fallout from Garland’s press conference. He added that the search warrant should be made public in due time unless Trump objects.

MacCallum replied, “I’ll tell you something else that feels uncharted to me, and that is the silence from the former president.”

“He’s not known for being silent,” Baier joked.

Even though Trump has made some “forceful statements” and a campaign-style video available online, the two pointed out that he has yet to make a public appearance to deliver a response. That’s when Baier decided to make Trump a free offer.

The Fox chief political anchor said, “We should point out that we welcome the former president to come on our air and sit down for an interview on all of the issues.”

Absolutely,” MacCallum proclaimed. If he wishes to comment on Attorney General Garland’s remarks, the line will be put on hold and opened up for him at this time. We’re also trying to find out if you want that warrant released.

There had been a growing (and ultimately incorrect) consensus that Fox News was moving on from the twice-impeached ex-president in preparation for the 2024 election cycle before this week’s scorched-earth reaction in defense of Trump over the FBI raid. One piece of evidence used to make this case was Trump’s recent lack of airtime on the network, in addition to some Murdoch-owned editorial boards writing critical op-eds.

It would appear that Fox News intends to change that soon.

The Daily Beast has more on the topic.