A mother has filed a lawsuit against Yale-New Haven Hospital claiming that medical staff abandoned her son for seven hours.
According to the lawsuit, the 23-year-old suffered a cardiac arrest in the hospital lobby and died the following day.
When reached for comment, Yale-New Haven Hospital remained silent.
A new lawsuit claims a mother’s 23-year-old son passed away while waiting for seven hours in a hospital’s waiting room.
According to Tina Darnsteadt’s lawsuit filed in Connecticut Superior Court, her son William Miller was taken by ambulance to the hospital after ingesting a white powder laced with fentanyl.
Miller was transferred to an area of the hospital reserved for those with “life-threatening conditions,” according to the lawsuit. According to the lawsuit, Miller was on a stretcher for seven hours while medical personnel walked past him without attending to him, but surveillance footage showed that he got up three times to use the restroom, visit a vending machine, and call his mother.
According to the lawsuit, Miller had been having a heart attack for a “unknown period of time” before a nurse checked on him and found him unresponsive.
Darnsteadt’s attorney, Sean McElligott of Silver Golub & Teitell LLP, told Insider, “As it turns out, Billy would have much better off if he never went to Yale New Haven Hospital.” “They took on the burden of caring for him but provided zero assistance. This is a very sad story.”
Insider’s request for comment to Yale-New Haven Hospital was not met with a response.
According to the lawsuit, the hospital illegally segregated him from other patients because of the fentanyl risk.
The lawsuit claims that after Miller, then 23 years old, ingested fentanyl-laced white powder with friends in a park, a firefighter administered naloxone, a drug that temporarily blocks the effect of opioids.
The CDC reports that fentanyl-related overdose deaths increased by 56% between 2019 and 2020, and that this trend is expected to continue.
Researchers at Rutgers University found that only a tiny amount of fentanyl was required to produce a “high,” making it a highly lethal opioid.
According to the lawsuit, Miller was “walking, talking, and alert” when paramedics arrived to take him to the hospital. A nurse took him to the emergency room because of the potential for fentanyl toxicity and put him there.
Miller was admitted to the hospital at 7:15 a.m., according to the lawsuit, but his medical records were not updated until he was discovered without a pulse at 1:56 a.m.
According to the lawsuit, Miller was transferred to the hospital’s critical care unit after a nurse discovered him, but he never regained consciousness. According to the lawsuit, he was pronounced dead the following day by medical professionals.
The lawsuit claims that Miller “suffered the premature total loss of enjoyment of all of his life’s activities as a result of the Yale Defendant’s negligence.”
The top 5 Fall getaways in the Northeast
This story has been updated with new information. Fall brings a welcome respite from summer’s heat and humidity as well...
Giant Slide reopened in the US for the first time since going viral
Thousands of people showed up to the Giant Slide in Detroit on the first weekend it reopened since going viral.
This hiker falls to his death at the Grand Canyon
A hiker walking in Grand Canyon National Park fell approximately 200 feet to his death on Friday afternoon, according to...
Ford fixed a problem with the Mustang that caused many crashes
Ford Mustang prototype mystery of 'The Bulge' has finally been solved.
You can buy a 90s Porsche-inspired boat, if you really want to
Yes, this is a yacht made to kind of look like a 993-generation 911 cabriolet.